I’m glad to tell you that I’ve been nominated for a Liebster Award. So I had actually not heard of the Liebster award until Karla of GlobalETA contacted me to nominate The Wandering Welshie. I’m guessing that not all my readers have heard of it either.
What is a Liebster Award?
The Liebster is an award that exists only on the internet, and is given to bloggers by other bloggers. Legend has it that the earliest awarding goes back to 2011. Liebster in German means sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, and welcome.
The rules are as follows
- Post the award on your blog so everybody knows how awesome you are.
- Publicly thank the person who nominated you and link to their blog.
- Answer their questions about yourself, feel free to add photos!
- Nominate 3-5 people with less than 1000 followers, inform them via social media.
- Write your own set of questions for your nominees.
- Feel good about yourself for winning an award and passing it on.
Thank you Karla from GlobalETALibrary.com
GlobalETA is a travel and outdoors digital library run by Karla who is the creator, curator and blogger. The main feature of the
site is a travel and outdoors Digital Library which includes resources vetted by a librarian to ensure their quality, currency, and authority. They also maintain a blog focussed on travel. This is Karla on the right when she was in Puerto Rico! Check out her site it’s super useful and informative!
So here we go then I need to answer Karla’s questions!
1. Tell us a bit about your blog and its focus.
My blog combines my love for travel but also my concern for people to practice responsible tourism. Travel is huge now so I feel like more and more people are using the opportunity to travel that maybe don’t understand all the ethical complications. I try and put some of those concerns into blog posts that also give people information.
2. What has been your favorite place to travel so far and why?
Kerala, India. I can’t pick an exact location but both me and Ben fell in love with the relaxed atmosphere and the friendly people, as well as the gorgeous scenery.
3. What has been your least favorite place to travel so far and why?
Delhi. It was dirty, loud and we got ripped off. Ugh.
4. What song inspires you most to travel?
Coldplay – Adventure of a Lifetime remix is the biggest one at the moment. I also like Mø & Major Lazer – Lean On. A very feel good track.
5. What’s been the biggest or best lesson you’ve learned while traveling?
Have rest days! You cannot appreciate everything you see if you’re downright exhausted and fed up. It is okay to stay in bed and watch netflix from time to time.
6. What is the gadget, tool, or accessory that you cannot live without while traveling?
Duct tape! And an offline map app.
7. What’s the most adventurous thing you’ve done while traveling?
Probably go down a Bolivian mine in Potosi. Looking back it literally could have collapsed on us at any moment, they were setting off dynamite in there! But it was a very eye opening experience.
8. Which bloggers do you follow?
9. Which destination is at the top of your must-see list? Where are you off to next?
I’m really excited to go to Indonesia. I don’t really have anything right at the top of my next see-list. I tend to have phases so I’ll do a huge trip and then when I’m back home the idea for the next one will come naturally. Whatever seems right is where I’ll go.
At the moment I’m in Cambodia, next will be Vietnam!
10. Any advice for other new bloggers?
Keep your site simple. Try to use a clean wordpress theme and a simple logo to start with. Focus on content and publish posts regularly to build up content. Use social media to network a lot.
So now it’s my turn to nominate some more bloggers. I nominate the following:
Abigail who runs One Little Backpacker. She has travelled to 35 different countries and has been to loads of major festivals round the world.
Meghan from Expedition Limitless whose first love is Italy (but she is happy to travel where her wanderlust takes her) and who loves to travel like a local.
Neil & Chandrika from Trippy Passports a new blog that focusses on travel food and culture on a budget.
Ola and Andrzej a Polish couple living in Singapore who run Singa-Pura a gorgeously designed blog focussing on life in Singapore and South East-Asia.
And my questions will be:
- How did you come up for the name of your blog?
- What made you decide to start blogging?
- What has been your best travel experience so far?
- Where is next on your wishlist?
- Who is your favourite person to travel with?
- What is your favourite aspect of travel?
- Are you more of a city or a wilderness person
- What useful item do you always take with you travelling?
- Who are your favourite bloggers?
- What advice would you give to new bloggers starting out?
Now go forth and spread the Liebster love <3